Singapore has a wonderful culture and history surrounding it, and attracts people from all walks of life. It's accommodating, welcoming and promises an experience like no other. Here are some key facts you may find interesting about this one of a kind country:
1. The name Singapore comes from the Sanskrit words ‘simha' (lion) and ‘pura' (city). This name was given to the region by a young prince who spotted a Lion, which he had never seen before, and subsequently named it Singapura.
2. The country has a very diverse population and its principle inhabitants comprise mainly of Chinese, Malay and Indian heritages. There is a percentage allocated to expatriates who migrate from all over the world to work in its thriving economy.
3. Most people in Singapore speak more than one language and English is usually one of them. A lot of the country's media and content are published in multiple languages to accommodate most visitors and residents. Mandarin is the predominant Chinese language spoken throughout the nation.
4. With a land mass of around 700 square kilometers it is one of the smallest countries in the world, but also has one of the highest concentration of restaurants and entertainment hotspots. Best things do come in small packages.
5. With one of the most efficient public transport systems in the world, there is no need to rent a car or spend a fortune on taxis. The trains (MRT and LRT) are frequent, clean and safe.
6. There are laws against chewing gum, spitting and littering and as a result, is one of the cleanest cities in the world. If all other cities followed suit the world would be a much cleaner place!
7. Singapore has its own cocktail called the Singapore Sling which has been around for over a century. It's refreshing in the tropical climate and is still enjoyed by the locals as a nationally treasured taste.